10 Tips to Get Kids to Eat Veggies
Just one bite. It’s a phrase that echoes nightly throughout countless American homes as parents face tiny upturned noses and pursed lips hard set on leaving their veggies untouched. Just 2% of kids meet daily recommendations for non-starchy vegetables, add potatoes and that number jumps to only 16%. However, fostering a love of vegetables in your kids isn’t as hard as it seems.
We all know veggies are loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals and they offer our best source of powerful antioxidants that play a pivotal role in keeping us healthy. Plus, studies show that kids who eat more vegetables are less likely to be overweight. Low in calories and high in water and fiber content, eating produce provides a way to fill up without filling out.
On average, elementary-aged kids should eat 2 cups of vegetables per day. Twelve baby carrots or one large sweet potato are a cup each.
Additional vegetable serving equivalents are provided by the USDA.
10 Tips to Get Your Kids Into Veggies:
Here are some easy ways to get your kids to try more vegetables. Make it fun, be creative and get them involved!
- Eat your vegetables and your kids will be more likely to eat them too.
- Keep veggies within your kids’ reach in the fridge.
- Give center stage to veggies on the plate and at snack time. Try some one-pot meals that feature vegetables.
- Offer a variety of colors, tastes, and textures. Introduce dried fruit, Zfruit + Veggies, or blended purees.
- Get outside with your kids and plant vegetables in your yard.
- Ask your kids to help you with menu planning. Encourage them to fill half of their plates with produce.
- Serve up veggies with dips that kids will like – guacamole, hummus, cheese, peanut butter, etc.
- Make it fun. Play games with kids to get them more involved with meals.
- Designate a “color of the week” and let them choose produce by color at the market.
- Be adventurous…make your own kale chips.
Serving up vegetables is a great way to keep your kids at their best. With perseverance and a little creativity, your kids will soon be reminding you to eat your greens.
Where Does Your Mojo Take You?
Show us for a chance to win a sweet new bike to get you there. #MojoGO
15 Fantastic Fiber Fixes
Did you know your kids should be eating 20-30 grams of fiber a day? Luckily, we’ve made it easy...
Fruit for Thought – Fresh Fruit Alternatives
Naturally sweet and packed with vitamins and fiber, fresh fruit is as tasty as it is nutritious. ...