5 Reasons Athletes Love Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are everywhere. Your coworkers are sprinkling them on their morning yogurt. Your mom i...
15 Fantastic Fiber Fixes
Did you know your kids should be eating 20-30 grams of fiber a day? Luckily, we’ve made it easy with our 15 fantastic fixes to pack more fiber into your kid’s meals and snacks.
Give your kids some of these fiber-rich foods:
- 1 medium unpeeled pear = approx. 5g fiber
- 1/2 cup cooked beans = approx. 10g fiber, depending on type of bean
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin (about 4g fiber)
- 1 CLIF Kid Zbar (3g fiber)
- 1 CLIF Kid Zfruit + Veggie Rope (3g fiber)
Are your kids stuck in the “white zone” – white pasta, white bread, etc.? Then they’re missing out on important fiber benefits. Try to make at least 50% of your grains whole grains each day. And try foods rich in natural fibers, such as oats, and added fibers, such as inulin, to increase fiber in your diet:
- If your kids are reluctant to eat non-white pasta, mix some in with whole grain pastas.
- Swap all-purpose flour for whole white wheat flour in your pantry.
- Swap chips for popcorn (yes, it’s a whole grain!). One ounce of popcorn has 4 grams of fiber (skip the butter and salt and explore some new flavor ideas).
- Change up your meals with high-fiber sides, such as quinoa, barley or lentils.
- Check the label for fiber-rich ingredients such as whole grain oats, corn, pea fiber, and inulin.
Serve up extra fruits and vegetables at meals and snacks:
- Serve fruits like pears and apples with the peel on to get full fiber benefits.
- Blend up fruit and veggie smoothies as a great alternative to juice for added fiber.
- Boost “kid-friendly” foods with fiber: veggies on pizza, pasta with beans and broccoli, and sandwiches with avocado and tomato.
- Add diced green veggies to your pasta sauce.
- Clif KID Zfruit + Veggie Ropes are an easy, delicious way for kids to get fruits, veggies, and fiber.
Keep your kids well-hydrated with water, their bodies need it to work with the fiber. And remember to make meal time and trying new foods fun for your kids.
3.14 Cheers for Pi(e) Day at Clif Bar & Company
Raising money for local schools and tutoring programs since 2012
Outdoor Scavenger Hunt
Use our printable list as a starting point
Get Your Hands Dirty
There’s something magic about gardening. It starts with a lump of dirt and a tiny seed and ends...